Hex Grid Utilities for Board-Game Development in C#
A tool-kit of utilities for building board- and strategy-games on a hexagonal grid, providing these features:
- Lightning-fast ALT Bidirectional Path-Finding implementation;
- Fast Shadowcasting implementation provides 3D Field-of-View;
- Hex-picking (identifying the hex selected by the user);
- All internal calculations performed with integer canonical (obtuse) coordinates;
- All external interfaces and board storage use rectangular coordinates;
- Built-in support for non-standard & transformed coordinate systems (such as for multi-map boards);
- Automatic internal conversion between coordinate systems hidden in a single type HexCoords;
- WinForms Panel sub-class exposing all of the above plus:
- Mouse-wheel zoom and scroll; and
- Map transposition
- As of ChangeSet 30020, optionally supports automatic visibility limiting due to Earth's curvature.
- Example of visibility limited by Earth's curvature: FOV with Curved Earth w/ 400 yd hexes & 30 ft contours
Got questions? Please leave a comment
(or start a discussion
thread) and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Reviews and Ratings
If you downloaded this library and found it useful (and even if you didn't actually; I can take brickbats as well as bouquets), please select Review This Release
on the Downloads page. You will be presented with a dialog box where you can review and rate the release. Specific issues can also be reported on the Issues
I appreciate all feedback, and promise to read all comments and issues.
Many thanks to: